UNLEASH YOUR POTENTIAL
Are you ready for your next career challenge?
Leidos are a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defence, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
We are in search of a Java Developer to support our central government customer as part of an applications development and support team able to fully support and maintain a system of critical national infrastructure adhering to engineering governance/best practice. You will be expected to work closely with team members and the broader programme to develop new functionality and to provide third line support; this may involve being on call out of hours on a rotational basis. Lastly, you will need strong knowledge and experience with a view to maintaining and developing java-based configurations and solutions in individual services, applications or components in the development, test, and live environments. The system utilises a wide variety of technologies so you must be flexible and quick to acquire new skills. The system is currently being moved into the public cloud so experience in this area would be an advantage or at least a desire to acquire these skills. You will have direct impact on the current and future iterations of one of our most important pieces of critical national infrastructure.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Software Engineer will be responsible for performing the software engineering functions, including the design, development, testing, troubleshooting, and debugging of software programs for enhancements and new software products.
- Applies appropriate principles, standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the software development life cycle.
- Duties include software requirements analysis, analysis of hardware compatibility, development of software products and tools used for design, development and maintenance of infrastructure, and platforms.
- Work is both for on prem hosting and AWS public cloud.
- Works to achieve day-to-day objectives with moderate impact on the project team.
- Communicates likely impacts to schedule to the wider team and help other team members with problems as necessary.
- Communicates with colleagues across multiple areas (project managers, other technical resources, etc.).
- Explains technical solutions, practices, and procedures to others within the organization.
- Daily stand-ups, periodic demos and ad hoc communication to the team and wider project
- Work with multiple teams based in different locations.
- Collaborate closely with software developers, testers, service management, infrastructure, and others to ensure timely delivery of new functionality, resolve defects and production issues and ensure that security principles are applied consistently throughout.
- Willingness to learn and share knowledge with peers.
Cross Functional Working
- Continually build relationships with internal stakeholders to achieve the successful completion of projects.
WHAT SETS YOU APART:
- Java (including enterprise Java development)
- Web Services - XML, SOAP, RESTful
- Good communication skills – we work almost exclusively remotely so making sure everyone is fully informed is key to making that a success.
Nice to have:
- XML Schemas
- Websphere Application Server
- Websphere MQ
- Build and Test Automation
- Working in an agile environment with waterfall aspects
- AWS or other public cloud
- Relational databases - e.g. Oracle, DB2
- IBM Software life cycle tooling including: Rational Software Architect, ClearQuest, and ClearCase
- Due to the nature of the project, this role will require having or obtaining an SC clearance
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.