Location: Whiteley / Hybrid
We are in search of a Software Engineer to join Leidos UK within the Air Traffic Management portfolio, based in Whiteley. This is a hybrid poistion.
In response to the success of the growing business, Leidos requires a Software Engineer to support this expansion by helping to create compelling solutions for our existing and future customers.
Are you ready for your next career challenge?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams in the UK to address some of the most complex problems in defence, government, safety and security, and transportation. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Are you ready for your next career challenge?
Leidos heritage companies pioneered the development of air traffic control systems in the United States more than 50 years ago. Today our systems handle 75 per cent of the air traffic in the U.S. and approximately 60 per cent of the world’s air traffic. When it comes to air traffic safety and efficiency, our proven track record and industry-leading innovations make us the world’s most trusted air traffic control partner.
Our support to UK Air Traffic Management (ATM) began with NATS in the early 1990’s, starting with the development of the current in-service system; and we are now at the heart of the innovative development work to modernise of ATM solutions.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
We currently have a vacancy for a Software Engineer in our Air Traffic Management portfolio of programmes. The Software Engineer, based in Whiteley, will be responsible for contributing to a multi discipline team in the Analysis of problems, solution work up and delivery of Software as required across a wide range of Applications. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that supports our customers current Air traffic Control Systems. Applicants must have proven track record of a wide range of skills within the software domain and have a software development background, preferably in similar safety related environment must also have, or be eligible to acquire, SC clearance.
What you will do
The successful candidate will be responsible for the timely completion of all engineering activities related to the particular application required. They will perform the day-to-day activities and be responsible for ensuring that the engineering process has been followed to maintain compliance to software assurance standards. The successful candidate may be expected to support multiple different applications so will need to multitask to support these activities.
The position requires knowledge and application of the software engineering standards, principles and best practices. The successful candidate will contribute to the engineering activities throughout the release life cycle, from kick off through to operational deployment as required.
- Investigation into potential problems in the various systems
- Develop software requirements
- Contribute to architecture and design baselines
- Develop software solutions/recommendations and implement these
- Change and release management
- Technical risk and opportunity management
- liaise with other disciplines (i.e Systems Engineering and Formal Test) as well as management and Team Leadership
- Creation of Software test plans and test execution
- Develop White Papers
- Change and release management
- Adherence to all relevant Software Standards required
- Proven track record in developing Software solutions using 1st (1GL) through 3rd (3GL) generation languages (e.g. ADA 83/95, C, C++)
- Proven Experience using the Waterfall and V model Development
- Proven experience delivering solutions on of Linux type operating systems
- Experience of using development environments related to 1GL through 3GL generation Languages
- Experience of systems engineering, software development, integration and test
- Experience of the complete project life cycle from bid through to operational delivery
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to provide clear technical direction
- Ability to work cross-functionally and Collaborate with other Stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication through the use of e-mail, presentations and reports
- Ability to build effective working relationships with the team, internal stakeholders and external stakeholders
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Experience of Other Software Development Techniques like Agile development (e.g. Scrum)
- Experience of delivering real-time and/or safety-related software
- Knowledge of modelling languages (e.g. SysML, UML)
- Knowledge of procedural and object orientated software development languages (e.g. C, C++ & Java)
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Python)
- Knowledge of COTS integration technologies (e.g. Apache Camel, Apache Kafka) Experience of Atlassian tools (e.g. Jira, Confluence)
- Knowledge of configuration management within an software engineering environment
Clearance Requirements: Current SC clearance, or the ability to gain SC clearance.
What we do for you:
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
• Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, gym memberships, annual buy and sell holidays and a cycle to work scheme)
Commitment to Diversity:
We welcome applications from every part of the community and are committed to a truly diverse and inclusive culture. We foster a sense of belonging, welcoming all perspectives and contributions, and providing equal access to opportunities and resources for everyone. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know, and we will respond in a way that best fits your needs.
Who We Are:
Leidos UK & EUROPE – we work to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient through technology, engineering and science.
Leidos is a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defence, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
Working together as Team Leidos we are helping to transform the UK's defence supply chain by providing an integration of a complex mixture of services, at low risk, using a modern suite of systems that will deliver one version of the truth. For the first time, the MOD will see the whole picture, as it is happening.
What Makes Us Different:
Purpose: you can use your passion and abilities at Leidos to keep the people you care about safe. We are at the forefront of machine learning, AI, cyber security and solutions. Using your skills in the technology frontline by helping to build a safer world. You can inspire change.
Collaboration: having flexibility to do your job is one of our core benefits, enabling you to become part of our extraordinary team. We have been empowering our people to work flexibly for years. Whether you work from home, the office or on customer sites, we will give you the digital tools and the flexibility to work smarter and align your needs and ours.
People: Leidos empowers people from every background to be themselves and gives you the tools to learn new skills by enabling growth whilst developing. We believe that extraordinary people need opportunities to grow, to be inspired and to inspire others. At Leidos, we invest in technical academies, career rotations and a career development plans that that enhance your future.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.