Infrastructure Engineer - Linux
Location: Farnborough – hybrid role based mostly from home with office working as required
We currently have a permanent vacancy for an Infrastructure Engineer to support the transition, development & in-service running (inc. capability upgrades/tech refresh activities) of an IT enterprise solution providing support to a critical operational end user.
We are looking for someone with proven experience of working on a Linux/Unix environment and with some knowledge of PostgreSQL. In addition to this the role will give you the opportunity to apply effective application and knowledge across a variety of technologies and platforms; Microsoft Windows Server Environments, Virtualized Environments, Microsoft Stack Technologies, Infrastructure Technologies and Data Storage Technologies.
The role will provide technical exposure variance across both outcomes based project activities and operational (Business as Usual) support activities.
You will become a technical specialist and process owner with our Operations Support services including service improvement and add further value to our service offerings. You will be expected to contribute towards the creation and ongoing maintenance of technical documentation (HLDs, LLDs, Work Instructions) and provide material to support the Project work or the Operational Support service.
What will you be doing?
- Provide infrastructure Engineering skills and produce solution designs as part of the senior delivery team
- Work with partner delivery teams to design and implement modern, scalable infrastructure using a range of new and emerging technologies including automation, while also managing and maintaining the existing legacy Linux / Unix infrastructure.
- Lead on all infrastructure management and acceptance aspects including setting standards and providing your deep technical expertise to Leidos programme teams
- Use the concepts and principles of verification and validation to produce relevant infrastructure designs across multiple subject areas
- Collaborate with customers on all aspects of infrastructure management including the assurance and integration of infrastructure services to meet the needs of multiple lines of business
- Recognise and exploit business opportunity by leveraging engineering and design best practice
- Communicate effectively across organisational, technical and political boundaries, understanding the context
What will you bring:
We are looking for someone with a passion for Infrastructure Engineering; ideally from a Systems Integration background with proven Linux experience. You will be self-motivated and be able to work autonomously to achieve day to day objectives with significant results on project or operational deliverables.
Whilst also owning a variety of activities ensuring compliance with project milestones and customer KPI’s and SLA’s it is important that you are an effective communicator and comfortable directly engaging with customers and colleagues. You must also demonstrate an analytical and systematic approach to technical challenges.
Essential skills required:
- Linux / Unix experience
- Strong experience of Linux (RHEL) and satellite management tooling
- PostgreSQL DBA experience
- Knowledge and experience of Window Server deployment and management in a data centre environment, including OS build, AD, DNS, DHC, PKI and GPOs from design to implementation and support;
- Microsoft virtualisation technologies
- Microsoft System Centre (SCCM, SCOM, SCSM, SCVMM) for monitoring and managing data centre infrastructure
- Appreciation of observability in data centre operations
- Have good general knowledge of Microsoft technologies such as MS SQL & CLI tooling such as PowerShell
- Have an understanding of DevOps source control and solid experience with configuration as code (CaC) tooling such as Ansible
- Appreciation of containerisation and orchestration.
- Exposure to and understanding of hyperscale clouds such as AWS and Microsoft Azure (not essential)
- Have excellent analysis and problem solving skills, taking ownership of complex incidents ensuring these are resolved to the satisfaction of the customer;
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
Due to the nature of the project, this role requires the individual to be a UK National and willing to obtain an SC clearance
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.