Infrastructure Engineer - Linux
Location: Farnborough – hybrid role based mostly from home with office working as required
We currently have a permanent vacancy for an Infrastructure Engineer to support the transition, development & in-service running (inc. capability upgrades/tech refresh activities) of an IT enterprise solution providing support to a critical operational end user.
We are looking for someone with proven experience of working on a Linux/Unix environment and with some knowledge of PostgreSQL. In addition to this the role will give you the opportunity to apply effective application and knowledge across a variety of technologies and platforms; Microsoft Windows Server Environments, Virtualized Environments, Microsoft Stack Technologies, Infrastructure Technologies and Data Storage Technologies.
The role will provide technical exposure variance across both outcomes based project activities and operational (Business as Usual) support activities.
You will become a technical specialist and process owner with our Operations Support services including service improvement and add further value to our service offerings. You will be expected to contribute towards the creation and ongoing maintenance of technical documentation (HLDs, LLDs, Work Instructions) and provide material to support the Project work or the Operational Support service.
What will you be doing?
- Provide infrastructure Engineering skills and produce solution designs as part of the senior delivery team
- Work with partner delivery teams to design and implement modern, scalable infrastructure using a range of new and emerging technologies including automation, while also managing and maintaining the existing legacy Linux / Unix infrastructure.
- Lead on all infrastructure management and acceptance aspects including setting standards and providing your deep technical expertise to Leidos programme teams
- Use the concepts and principles of verification and validation to produce relevant infrastructure designs across multiple subject areas
- Collaborate with customers on all aspects of infrastructure management including the assurance and integration of infrastructure services to meet the needs of multiple lines of business
- Recognise and exploit business opportunity by leveraging engineering and design best practice
- Communicate effectively across organisational, technical and political boundaries, understanding the context
What will you bring:
We are looking for someone with a passion for Infrastructure Engineering; ideally from a Systems Integration background with proven Linux experience. You will be self-motivated and be able to work autonomously to achieve day to day objectives with significant results on project or operational deliverables.
Whilst also owning a variety of activities ensuring compliance with project milestones and customer KPI’s and SLA’s it is important that you are an effective communicator and comfortable directly engaging with customers and colleagues. You must also demonstrate an analytical and systematic approach to technical challenges.
Essential skills required:
- Linux / Unix experience
- Strong experience of Linux (RHEL) and satellite management tooling
- PostgreSQL DBA experience
- Knowledge and experience of Window Server deployment and management in a data centre environment, including OS build, AD, DNS, DHC, PKI and GPOs from design to implementation and support;
- Microsoft virtualisation technologies
- Microsoft System Centre (SCCM, SCOM, SCSM, SCVMM) for monitoring and managing data centre infrastructure
- Appreciation of observability in data centre operations
- Have good general knowledge of Microsoft technologies such as MS SQL & CLI tooling such as PowerShell
- Have an understanding of DevOps source control and solid experience with configuration as code (CaC) tooling such as Ansible
- Appreciation of containerisation and orchestration.
- Exposure to and understanding of hyperscale clouds such as AWS and Microsoft Azure (not essential)
- Have excellent analysis and problem solving skills, taking ownership of complex incidents ensuring these are resolved to the satisfaction of the customer;
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
Due to the nature of the project, this role requires the individual to be a UK National and willing to obtain an SC clearance
What we do for you:
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
• Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, gym memberships, annual buy and sell holidays and a cycle to work scheme)
Commitment to Diversity:
We welcome applications from every part of the community and are committed to a truly diverse and inclusive culture. We foster a sense of belonging, welcoming all perspectives and contributions, and providing equal access to opportunities and resources for everyone. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know, and we will respond in a way that best fits your needs.
Who We Are:
Leidos UK & EUROPE – we work to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient through technology, engineering and science.
Leidos is a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defence, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
What Makes Us Different:
Purpose: you can use your passion and abilities at Leidos to keep the people you care about safe. We are at the forefront of machine learning, AI, cyber security and solutions. Using your skills in the technology frontline by helping to build a safer world. You can inspire change.
Collaboration: having flexibility to do your job is one of our core benefits, enabling you to become part of our extraordinary team. We have been empowering our people to work flexibly for years. Whether you work from home, the office or on customer sites, we will give you the digital tools and the flexibility to work smarter and align your needs and ours.
People: Leidos empowers people from every background to be themselves and gives you the tools to learn new skills by enabling growth whilst developing. We believe that extraordinary people need opportunities to grow, to be inspired and to inspire others. At Leidos, we invest in technical academies, career rotations and a career development plans that enhance your future.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:09/27/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.