Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defence, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Software Engineering Manager to join our current team to deliver transition and digital transformation of complex and critical solutions for our new and existing customers within our Civil division. This is a permanent position based in either Coventry, Farnborough, Whiteley or home-based with the expectation of regular travel to these offices.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
As a Senior Software Engineering Manager at Leidos, you will:
- Be responsible for multiple teams of skilled software engineers via the individual team software engineering managers;
- Focus on software engineering capability growth within your teams and feed that into the wider requirements of Applications and Software resourcing plans;
- Contribute to people management initiatives to ensure our engineers are excited about their current role within Leidos and have a clear and postive view of their future career growth plans;
- Realise software engineering solution delivery through credible, compliant, durable, elegant technical designs and implementations in response to technical requirements;
- Provide SME input to bid teams working on capture opportunities;
Leidos strives to be a recognised global leader in solving important problems in national, security, health and infrastructure. What you do, where you work, and who is in your team are important. After all, you spend a lot of your time and energy at work. Leidos employees are smart people focused on solving the world's most-daunting challenges. The work requires insight, ingenuity, and commitment to the mission.
Key expectations, you;
- will successfully blend your established technical expertise with a passion for developing your engineering teams to help you achieve your goals;
- will act as a recognised subject matter expert in modern software engineering processes and practices, ensuring best practices are recognised and implemented;
- recognise and reward your teams to ensure they are developed to reach their full potential;
- are aware of and conversant in current technical trends such as cloud, devops, cyber, microservices, and know how to leverage these technologies and practices in a cost effective manner to meet our customers' demands;
- work collaboratively with the Head of Applications and Software and other engineering capability leads to facilitate continued capability growth within Leidos UK;
- will leverage your excellent written and verbal communication skills to express key concepts, influence senior technical and non-technical team members
- be a self-starter and pro-active learner;
- are prepared to step outside of your primary skillsets to develop yourself and your teams;
- will travel where required to our UK sites to ensure you are visible to your teams and be able to manage remotely using modern collaborative tools.
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DO YOU NEED?
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Significant (> 5 years) development experience in a senior role using waterfall and agile development processes;
- Experience in engineering team management (> 3 years), including managing managers;
- Experience of development in at least two of the following development languages: Java, C++, Python;
- Developing cloud solutions based on AWS and Azure leveraging both cloud platform capabilities and containerisation technologies;
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Implemented DevOps processes within existing development teams;
- Have implemented change within technical teams;
- Worked on critical national infrastructure projects and programmes;
- Have experience of development in .Net;
- Have an experience of working in co-operation with associated capabilities, such as Service Management, Security Operations and/or Application Support.
- Minimum Clearance to take up the post is SC.
WHAT DO WE DO FOR YOU?
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
- Flexible working;
- Individual development plans, coaching, mentoring and excellent training opportunities;
- Contributory Pension Scheme;
- Private Medical Insurance;
- 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays);
- Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme).
If you are interested in applying for this role please click the APPLY button below.
Our company headquarters is located in Reston, Virginia. Outside of the United States, we operate in 30 countries around the world with more than 2,000 employees in global locations. Our largest concentrations are in Australia and the United Kingdom where we continue to expand our local footprint.