Job Requisition:Chief Engineer
Leidos UK is responsible for a number of programmes across a diverse range of customers including the Defence and Intelligence-related market sectors. This is a growing business environment with a number of existing programmes with follow-on work and new capture opportunities. All programmes and projects in this area are mission critical to the End User and range in size, complexity and duration. All activity is undertaken working very closely with the Customer in an integrated project team environment.
Associated Programmes and Captures related to this role involve the full systems engineering cycle from design, through development (including Agile), to verification, commissioning and acceptance. Solutions will include the integration of COTS, FOSS and proprietary software for Enterprise-level capabilities that meet our Customers’ needs.
Specific Job Description:
We require a Senior Systems Engineer with a full understanding of design, development, and integration of large and complex solutions and to act as Chief Engineer for a Classified Defence line of Business. A successful candidate will primarily be responsible to the Account Director for developing System solutions, including responsibility for design, delivery and engineering programme management. This will include:
• Planning and control of own work and that of an assigned engineering team.
• Support to the Account Director and Programme Manager in defining and delivering solutions that meet the user need within the bounds of requirements whilst acknowledging the schedule and cost constraints.
• Requirements assessment and management, design of subsystem, technical impact assessment, design baseline synthesis and control.
• Ownership of Subsystem Specifications and Interface Requirement Specifications.
• Assessment of existing, modified or new Systems, and embodiment of COTS, FOSS and/or Proprietary items.
• Presentation of designs at internal and independent reviews.
• Technical input to programme management and cost estimation teams.
• Technical risk assessment and reduction, including assessment of TPMs and TRLs.
• Support to new business opportunities.
- A good level of Commercial awareness.
• A successful candidate will be required to be a self-starter, able to identify and implement necessary tasks within his/her area of responsibility. He/she will need the flexibility necessary to work within a dynamic Programme and Bid environment. Responsibilities will include working with other Leidos staff (engineering, programme management, capture and BD), as well as existing and potential partners, to assess candidate system solutions and/or products, conduct should-cost assessments, resolve technical issues, optimise development processes and provide recommended solutions to problems that are likely to have significant time, cost and/or cost implications.
A successful candidate shall be able to execute and perform without assistance, and possess significant practical experience and applied knowledge across the following areas:
• Complex systems integration projects, involving IT systems.
• Technical Management of subcontractors.
• Systems Engineering and understanding of the principles behind each of the main processes.
• Technical Team Management including the planning of work packages, allocation to team members and reporting.
• Technical Team Leadership, including providing technical direction to team members.
In addition to the areas above, the candidate is required to have:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and work well in a team environment.
• The ability to lead systems engineering tasks for their allocated subsystem; including, requirements analysis, decomposition, allocation, systems integration, testing and trade studies.
• The confidence to conduct complex discussions with civilian and service customers, and suppliers.
• The ability to clearly articulate and communicate design and technical concepts in written and verbal forms.
• The capability to develop and communicate a vision for assigned elements of the System;
Desirable skills comprise:
- A background in Software Development and/or IT Systems Integration.
• Knowledge of MOD UK processes and procedures to support planning and implementation for fixed and deployed Communications and Information Systems.
- Classified domain experience (specifics will be covered at interview).
- Earned Value Management.
Typical Minimum Education & Experience:
Ideally, successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college. Leidos will also consider individuals with equivalent experience/combined education. An SC clearance is required (DV-clearance desirable/achievable).
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:0
Job Family:Systems Engineering2000Defense
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.