Leidos are a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defence, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
We currently have a permanent vacancy for a Senior Principal Engineer to provide technical leadership of an exciting programme that is delivering a once in a generation change to UK Air Traffic Management. The Snr Principal Engineer will be responsible for all technical performance with a focus on delivery and operation, they will influence development of solutions that impact strategic project/program goals and business results. They have thorough understanding of advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts, and recommends and collaborate in the development of new technical solutions and/or standards in support of strategy and operations.
The successful candidate will be required to own and drive the Systems Engineering, Integration & Verification, Assurance and Service Management teams through design definition, execution, integration, formal test and delivery into service phases. The Snr Principal Engineer acts as the technical delivery focal point for the capture or programme, working alongside the ‘Solutions Lead’ who forms the design authority focal point. They will be a natural self-starter and team motivator who will guide the technical team to deliver upon Leidos commitments. They will be considered a leader and champion in technical delivery with the experience to back up their decisions and actions, preferably hands on at a high level. You will work with field leading subject matter experts who will provide detailed designs and with supporting functions such as programme managements, business, financial and senior leadership.
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY
The successful candidate will have a full understanding of the principles of system engineering, be able to demonstrate past successes in leading diverse engineering teams and will have prior experience leading Systems Engineering teams for a major programme involving accepting and integrating deliveries from suppliers. Using their experience in Systems Engineering, the successful candidate will be responsible for working with customers and suppliers to execute Systems Engineering activities across the full lifecycle
Duties will include but not limited to:
- Collaborates with the Solution Lead on all engineering effort for pre-sales/proposals, ensuring the solution and approach are deliverable and realistic, accepting the following work products:
- Technical customer requirements, specifications and standards
- Solution derived requirements, design and approach
- Project management items; technical measures, constraints, risks, technical deliverables, assumptions, dependencies. Own and plan the engineering effort for programmes.
- Reviews the proposed technical solution and approach with the purpose of establishing and managing an overall technical baseline, agreeing a suitable change management approach with the Solution Lead. They take ownership of the work products and plans from the proposal and perform the following additional items:
- Technical Management Plan (aka Systems Engineering Management Plan – SEMP). Creation of the plan of plans that identifies what, when, why, where and how the technical organisation will execute engineering delivery of products and services.
- Define the technical organisation, working with PMO and the lines of business to request the necessary resources (people and material)
- Define the criteria for use of formal engineering decision analysis and resolution activities.
- Establish boards to govern the technical efforts as appropriate. For example, an Engineering Review Board (ERB), and a Technical Configuration Control Board (ECCB), ensuring the Solution Lead approves design changes.
- Execute the engineering effort.
- Communicates the technical plans and assignments to all members of the technical teams and sub-contractors
- Establish the technical sub-teams based on the agreed organisation structure
- Direct implementation of the technical management plans, manage day-to-day operation of the technical engineering teams, coordinate all engineering efforts, coordinate subcontractor efforts, and conduct technical exchange meetings.
- Manage engineering analyses, trade studies, prototype development and test.
- Coordinate with configuration management / PMO to ensure configuration control of the system design, system elements, technical documents, and other technical artefacts in accordance with agreed processes.
- Monitor, assess and control the engineering effort
- Monitor and assess technical progress against objectives and plans by collecting and analysing metrics, reviewing work products, obtaining formal and informal briefings, managing the technical budget, and assessing system performance, etc. Track and assess progress against cost and schedule. Report status to the PM.
- Monitor and assess the efficacy of the technical organization and processes.
- Manage the environments for system development, integration, verification, validation, and the process asset library to ensure continued suitability and access to any required enabling systems or services.
- Work with the Solution Lead to ensure there is a suitably agreed technical review plan, ensuring timely execution of technical reviews, audits, and inspections
- Develop, initiate, document, and track corrective actions to address technical performance issues or other problems and prevent issues from recurring. Report status of corrective actions to the PM. If necessary, re-plan effort in coordination with the PM.
- Employ the agreed PMO processes to prevent issues when assessments indicate a negative trend, e.g. risk management.
- Coordinate, as appropriate, to initiate engineering change requests. Change requests may contain resource and material basis of estimates.
- Negotiate and maintain control of goods and services from outside organisations
- Analyse and maintain the collected technical metrics. Report them to the PM together with trends and other results of analysis
- Manage technical contract deliverables and milestone reviews
- Plan and direct the preparation, internal review, and customer delivery of contract deliverables.
- Plan and direct the preparation, internal review, and delivery of required support documentation.
- Plan and direct the preparation of the technical content of milestone reviews.
- Plan, schedule, and lead technical milestone reviews. Ensure all action items are recorded and assigned to the appropriate teams or individuals for disposition.
- Track and manage the closure of review action items and customer-requested revisions to contract deliverables
- Document and maintain the outputs of the process
- Conduct peer reviews on project outputs of this process as defined by the project.
- Obtain approval of technical process outputs from internal and external stakeholders as defined in the project’s plans.
- Control changes to work products and store records as defined in the project's configuration management plan.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing all stages of the systems engineering lifecycle across multiple programmes within a portfolio.
- Experience of architecture development across multiple, new and complex interfaces
- The ability to communicate at all levels about high level architecture as well as the low level design layers.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with ability to interact at all levels from engineers to executives
- An ability to understand and translate customer needs and expectations
- Understanding of various system development methodologies
- Ability to lead, encourage and influence cross functional and multi-location teams involving 100’s of individuals within 40+ teams
- Ability to define new strategies and processes, driving these through to their implementation
- Experience of working with multiple suppliers and stakeholders
- Confidence to work independently and within a fast-paced team
- Experience of delivering systems and solutions within the context of service orientated architectures and associated service management solutions (people, process, governance & technology)
- ITIL experience
- Experience of utilising DOORS to manage requirements and Model Based Systems Engineering tools for managing user scenarios
- Knowledge of Air Traffic Management systems or programmes desirable, however experience of equivalent domains or systems suitable
- Experience of transitioning from legacy systems to new capabilities
- Experience of model based system engineering methodologies and outputs
- Experience decomposing system of systems architectures and specification of systems at multiple levels
- Experience of specifying systems/services from user perspective and ability to produce abstract views of detailed internal service design
- Experience in designing Cloud-based Platforms would be an advantage, including large scale system virtualisation and orchestration
What do we do for you?
We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent.
Our reward scheme includes:
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
- Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, and cycle to work scheme)
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.