Description of Business Environment:
Leidos is a global science, technology and engineering solutions company working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. Listed on the NYSE with revenues of over $10bn and 30,000 employees, Leidos supports vital missions for government and the commercial sectors, developing innovative solutions to drive better business outcomes and defend digital and physical infrastructure from 'new world' threats. The Company has over 50 years of experience in the national security sector and a successful and growing position in commercial markets that leverage its core competencies in C4ISR, cyber security, systems engineering, large-scale agile software development, and data analytics.
Background to the Assignment
Leidos UK & Europe has 3 business divisions in Civil, Logistics and Defence, across 12 sites with c1,200 staff. With revenues greater than $500m pa, the business operates in diverse markets including Air Traffic Management, Energy, Central Government, Emergency Services, Defence and Security. Following a period of consolidation after the merger with Lockheed Martin’s IS & GS business in 2016, UK & Europe has been identified as a priority investment area for the company and the region is re-orientating itself for growth with a significant pipeline and funding for M&A.
The COO oversees the region’s day to day activities through effective operational and financial procedures in order to deliver on our commitments, maximise customer satisfaction, grow revenue and expand margin. The successful candidate will assist with creating the region's budget, running the P&L and employ strategies to ensure the divisions are efficient, productive and effective. Top candidates will be exemplary leaders, have superb business acumen and have sound understanding of business strategies. The successful candidate will also be familiar with operating in a US company environment.
- Annual Operating Plan consistent with the Leidos UK & Europe commitment.
- Ensuring programme execution of existing contracts for all programmes.
- Clear understanding of all UK programmes and key requirements.
- Strong relationships with Leidos programme customers and management.
- Timely allocation of appropriate budgets and overseeing budget usage.
- Enterprise overhead commitment achievement.
- Return to Green planning and implementation.
- Mission Success Event identification and tracking.
- Responsible for Leidos Strategic Commitments to include:
- Direct input into the Leidos growth strategy development and implementation.
- Workforce planning and talent management and ensuring our staff receive challenging and rewarding work.
- Identifying future enterprise competence and resourcing requirements in line with Leidos strategy.
- Work with the CTO to address evolving technology and then meet those identified future competence requirements through recruitment or development of existing employees.
- Daily interface and strategic planning with functional organisations in support of UK performance and growth requirements.
- Line management of Leidos programme management functional staff as appropriate.
- Management of the regional business rhythm consistent with the Leidos Civil Group.
- Deputising for the Chief Executive as required.
- Work within and promote the ethical standards consistent with the Company policy.
Key Measures of Success:
- Meet or exceed all financial measures.
- Continue to enhance Leidos reputation for collaborative working and programme delivery.
- Meet or exceed all programme performance measures and meet targeted growth on existing contracts.
- Achieve target utilisation across the business areas.
- Ensure availability of suitably skilled employees and strategic employee development.
- 360 degree feedback from employees, peers, colleagues and customers.
- Successful achievement of all UK Operational and Strategic commitments.
- Flawless execution on programme delivery including the growth of existing contracts. No red programs; successful start up of new programs.
- Proven experience in operations and or programme management.
- Proven ability to hold profit and loss responsibility for similar business size (circa £500m) is essential.
- Proven track record in successfully managing budgets and projects on a diverse range of contracts.
- Strong Leadership skills and inter-personal skills.
- A focussed approach on energising the team.
- Ability to motivate employees and deliver within the Leidos culture.
- Ability to rapidly gain an in-depth understanding of the commercial and technical aspects of Leidos.
- An in-depth understanding of the current markets, trends and new developments, and how these relate to the current Leidos vision and growth strategy.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation), including the ability to listen effectively.
- Strong self-awareness, and a capacity to reflect on own practice and implement changes from lessons learnt.
- Strategic thinker, coupled with a pragmatic hands-on approach to getting the job done.
Minimum Education & Experience:
- Extensive professional experience within a similar operations role.
- Programme management experience on large complex programmes.
- Experience in delivering large programmes.
- Successful management of profit and loss.
- Resource management experience, linked to business and financial planning.
- Relevant degree or equivalent. Higher degree or MBA advantageous.
- Security clearance, SC or ability to acquire SC.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Job Family:Proj and Prog Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.