The Network Architect forms an integral part of a Solution team, developing high-level designs for the networking elements and aspects of broad solutions to solve customer problems. Understanding the critical importance that efficient, performant and cost effective networks play as part of holistic solutions, you will collaborate across boundaries to support the overall Solution Lead and Design Authority with relevant solutions.
Network architects are not just technical specialists, they will have demonstrable broad and detailed experience in the broad networking environment, including a range of national carriers across MPLS, VPLS, Carrier Ethernet and Dark Fibre. In line with the nature of Leidos’s business you will have proven knowledge and experience across key national public sector networks, specifically PSN.
The network architect is broader than LAN, WAN and carriers. They will be expert in the integration of networking across all aspects of solution, understanding, assimilating and developing the networking aspects in partnership with colleagues. You will be expert in key adjacent technologies such as virtual networking in hypervisors and public clouds, crypto overlays (including common government and MoD crypto solutions), firewalling, load balancing, and other network integrated aspects.
The network architect is not just a technical expert but a leader and whilst not performing direct line management, will actively and positively lead teams of engineers within the business to deliver positive and effective outcomes with integrity, innovation and commitment. You will garner followership through coaching and guiding teams to positive outcomes for our clients.
A Network Architect will work across the programme lifecycle, including in a presales capacity on customer proposals and then working with engineering teams in delivery to realise designs. Further, network architects will participate in the collaborative development with peers of blueprints and patterns as part of the internal Centres of Excellence, actively promoting best practices.
- Integrate as part of the solution team, developing network architectures and designs as integrated parts of overall solutions;
- Work with stakeholders across the business to identify the most cost effective and strategically aligned of our partner network to realise the solution;
- Work as an integrated part of the pre-sales solution team to act as networking lead for proposals and bid writing;
- Work as an integrated part of programme teams in to help translate high level designs into detailed designs and support their implementation;
- Actively consider and collaborating with security teams to always incorporate proportional and appropriate security into all aspects of design and implementation;
- Provide guidance and assistance to members of the engineering teams where required;
- Collaborating with peers and colleagues within the Centres of Excellence to:
- Identify potential new technologies and solutions that are relevant to the organisation and its pipeline;
- Develop standards and best practices, actively promoting their use across the organisation.
Knowledge / skills / experience
- Expert level knowledge and demonstrable in-depth experience across large scale public sector UK networks, including detailed understanding and experience of PSN and associated overlays, supporting the design of and implementation of secure, multi-layered solutions;
- Broad experience of the UK networking market, with experience across a breath of carriers across MPLS, VPLS, Ethernet and Dark Fibre, demonstrated through a portfolio of project experience using different suppliers;
- Strong leadership skills and experience, able to bring technical and business people alike along with them, gaining agreement over solutions across broad stakeholder base;
- Excellent oral and written communicator, comfortable providing input and supporting proposals and technical documentation;
- In-depth experience of networking design, technologies and adjacent aspects across LAN, WAN, Data Centre and cloud, particularly AWS and Azure;
- Highly evolved security skills, including experience of high grade encryption, PKI, active and passive security solutions (including Firewalls / NGFW, IDS, IPS, AAA, 802.1x) and their fundamental role in the integration of networks into broader secure solution;
- Knowledge and exposure across a range of networking vendors and their technologies, including Cisco, Juniper, F5 and Palo-Alto. High level formal vendor qualifications (e.g. CCIE) are desirable but not required;
- Experience of common deployment patterns, including infrastructure solutions to support secure and resilient multi-site applications, and secure single and multi-tenanted virtual environments within private and public clouds;
- Must have or be capable of achieving SC clearance as a minimum; potentially required to undergo DV if not already holding it.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Job Family:Solution Architect
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.