Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defence, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers.
We are seeking self-starting candidates to join our current team to deliver transition and digital transformation of complex and critical solutions for our UK Central Government customer within our Civil division. This is a permanent position based in Farnborough, UK, with an expectation of travel to other Leidos offices in the UK and potentially the US.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
As a Software Engineering Manager at Leidos, you will:
- Be responsible for a team of skilled software engineers;
- Focus on software engineering capability growth within your team and feed that into the wider requirements of Applications and Software resourcing plans;
- Contribute to people management initiatives to ensure our engineers are excited about their current role within Leidos and have a clear and positive view of their future career growth plans;
- Realise software engineering solution delivery through credible, compliant, durable, elegant technical designs and implementations in response to technical requirements;
- Provide SME input to bid teams working on capture opportunities;
Specifically for this role you will;
- Lead a team of developers and support analysts to transition test and development services from the incumbent supplier to Leidos;
- Collaborate with the software architect, app support lead and chief engineer to form a complete understanding of the overall solution and service offering including data centre, engineering processes, code bases, virtualisation etc. and be able to use this knowledge to verify service readiness on transition;
- Assist with activities such as site due diligence, Leidos site readiness, validation of procedures, licences and assets;
- Attend training and assimilate existing application support information for distribution within your project team;
- Be responsible obtaining a good architectural understanding of the Test and Development services including the current engineering lifecycle and an appreciation of technical debt levels;
- Design and architect the application to effect transition from DC hosting to AWS leveraging SecDevOps pipelines and microservice architectures;
- Build relationships to enable effective collaboration with, and co-ordination of, Leidos US colleagues;
Leidos strives to be a recognised global leader in solving important problems in national, security, health and infrastructure. What you do, where you work, and who is in your team are important. After all, you spend a lot of your time and energy at work. Leidos employees are smart people focused on solving the world's most-daunting challenges. The work requires insight, ingenuity, and commitment to the mission.
Key expectations, you;
- work well in a team; thinking as one team to deliver common goals and ensuring mission success;
- are willing to step outside of your primary skillsets to support the team; a self-starter and proactive learner;
- enjoy working in an agile culture in particular SecDevOps;
- can work and lead effectively with multi-discipline co-located and distributed teams;
- enjoy working the end to end lifecycle without traditional fixed roles such as developer or tester; your time being split across these roles;
- identify potential roadblocks and develop solutions around them;
- plan and estimate tasks you and your team are responsible for; collecting daily metrics to increase team performance;
- build solutions where the solution is not always well defined, always considering the customer first.
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DO YOU NEED?
- Experience performing cutover and service take-on of incumbent solutions;
- Significant experience working in critically important, risk averse software engineering environments;
- Have detailed experience and understanding of the engineering lifecycle including build, release and deployment pipelines;
- Experience running environments on virtualised platforms or cloud based solutions;
- Experience performing and coordinating asset audits and site due diligence that feeds a CMDB;
- Experience and good knowledge of data centre operations for applications, physical assets and virtual assets;
- The role requires application and platform understanding; preferably within aging data-centres and equipment and how to transition to cloud.
- JAVA, including architecture, messaging, and middleware development
- IBM Websphere Process Server
- IBM Webseal
- Unix/IBM AIX
- IBM Software life cycle software including
- Rational Software Architect
- J2EE software architectures
- SUSE Linux
- Messaging technologies
- Workflow technologies
- Postgres databases
- SLES/Solaris, VMware, Sun/XiO storage, Sun/IBM compute
Other desirable skills:
- Experience of Java enterprise application platforms and deployments
- Local and limited international travel maybe required to data centres and incumbent/customer sites
- Minimum clearance to take up the post is SC.
- Candidates should either hold or be willing to undergo NPPV3 and DV
WHAT DO WE DO FOR YOU?
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
- Flexible working;
- Individual development plans, coaching, mentoring and excellent training opportunities;
- Contributory Pension Scheme;
- Private Medical Insurance;
- 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays);
- Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme).
If you are interested in applying for this role please click the APPLY button below.
Our company headquarters is located in Reston, Virginia. Outside of the United States, we operate in 30 countries around the world with more than 2,000 employees in global locations. Our largest concentrations are in Australia and the United Kingdom where we continue to expand our local footprint.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.