Leidos is responsible for a number of programmes across a diverse range of customers in the Defence and Security related market sectors. This is growing business environment with a number of existing programmes with follow-on work and new capture opportunities. All programmes and projects in this area are mission critical to the End User and range in size, complexity and duration. All activity is undertaken working very closely with the customer in a genuine integrated project environment. The specific programme involves the full systems engineering cycle of design through test and acceptance including COTS integration and software development.
We are looking for a Software Team Lead to join An experienced software engineer who has a wealth of experience of successfully developing and delivering complex systems integration projects involving networked IT systems, is required to join the technical leadership team, and will be based in our Whiteley offices. The software team comprises two small teams: a development team and a test team whose sizes vary at various points in the schedule and are resouced with highly experienced engineers. This would therefore be an opportunity for an experienced developer taking on his or her first leadership role or alternatively someone with experience of managing small software teams. The successful candidate must be a UK National and be capable of attaining the necessary security credentials.
The candidate will be required to be a self-starter able to identify and implement necessary tasks within his/her area of responsibility and the flexibility necessary to work within a dynamic programme; responsibilities will include working with other Leidos staff (engineering and programme management), and regularly with potential partners (engineering and project management), subcontractors and internal product development teams to manage and deliver the software development programme for an air traffic control radar based system whose network includes controller workstations. Specific tasks include:
- Managing a team of highly experienced developers and test engineers, allocating activities and resolving any interdependencies to ensure the succesful delivery of the software test programme into the next level of test and assurance activities.
- Reporting status and progress against the softare development programme schedule to both Leidos and partner project management.
- Managing risks, issues and dependencies associated with the software development programme.
- Estimating and supporting any replanning exercises that may be required.
- Resolving technical issues, optimising development processes and providing recommended solutions to problems that are likely to have significant programme or technical implications.
- Estimate, plan and schedule technical activities and report on progress, achievements, risks & opportunities
- Ability to resolve complex technical real-time issues in a networked computer environment
- Leadership of technical resources on work package
- Collaboration with other stakeholders within immediate team, wider customer programme and third-party suppliers
- At least 5 years experience of developing C++ in either a MS Windows and/or Linux environment using an IDE such as Visual Studio or similar
- Knowledge of modern IT and engineering technologies including networks, toolsets and processes (development & operations)
- Excellent internal/external customer and supplier relationship management skills
- Experience of working successfully in dynamic and demanding working software development environments
- Proactive with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and work well in a team environment
- Experience of developing solution architecture and designs and taking these through to successful implementation
- Experience of identifying, analysing and quantifying trade-offs for solutions and effectively communicating these to stakeholders
- Decision making and influencing skills
- Broad experience of infrastructure, operating systems, real-time, networked applications and data with ability to effectively engage specialists where required
- Able to communicate state-of-the-art and best practices
- Experience working with virtualised products/services/solutions
- A willingness to travel in the UK in order to support Leidos activities
What do we do for you?
We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent.
Our reward scheme includes:
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
- Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, and cycle to work scheme)
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.