Leidos are a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defence, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
A Senior Principal or a Principal technologist who is an Individual contributor who leads and/or manages works of other technical staff that has significant impact on the division’s results/outputs predominately fills this role.
With a focus on technical delivery and operations, the Chief Engineer influence development of solutions that affect strategic project/program goals and business results. They have thorough understanding of advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts; they recommend and collaborate in the development of new technical solutions and/or standards in support of strategy and operations.
We expect a great deal from our Division Chief Engineers (DCE) with no day being the same; a natural self-starter and team motivator who will guide the technical team to deliver upon Leidos commitments. Preferably, hands on at a high level, you are a leader and champion in technical IT delivery with the experience to back up decisions and actions. You will work with field leading subject matter experts who will provide detailed designs and with supporting functions within the division such as programme managements, business, financial and senior leadership. You will be adept in conveying a technical vision to clients and staff alike with enthusiasm, passion and gravitas for technology.
Core skills and behaviours:
- Drives the team towards delivery by shaping and encouraging the team to achieve outcomes
- Significant experience in delivery of complex and parallel technical deliverables for large government organisations or private corporations using a diverse engineering and technology team
- Significant experience in breaking down technical deliveries into manageable and trackable parts.
- Strong and practical knowledge of cross functional business skills, including but not limited to; project management, cost management, risk management, estimating using formal methods, supply chain, schedule management, forecasting, resource planning.
- Experience in lifecycle methodologies, technical governance and technical solutions relevant to these domains.
- Experience of technical business analysis or systems engineering, including requirements management.
- Experience of large-scale integrations, service orientated architecture and key technologies.
- Keen technical advocate and self-learner up to date with the latest technology and innovations; encourages and inspires those around them.
- Experience of digital modernization and cloud transformation using both public and private cloud technologies.
Responsibilities of the DCE are:
- Collaborates with the Solution Leads on all engineering effort for pre-sales/proposals. The Solutions Lead owns and develops the overall technical solution and approach during any pre-sales or proposal work, with the CE responsible for ensuring the solution and approach are deliverable and realistic, accepting the following work products:
- Technical customer requirements, specifications and standards
- Solution derived requirements, design and approach
- Project management items; technical measures, constraints, risks, technical deliverables, assumptions, dependencies. Own and plan the engineering effort for programmes.
- The DCE reviews the proposed technical solution and approach with the purpose of establishing and managing an overall technical baseline, agreeing a suitable change management approach with the Solution Lead. They take ownership of the work products and plans from the proposal.
- Provides the independent technical escalation path for:
- customer organisations: customer staff (technical or otherwise) may raise issues directly on matters of engineering solution, quality, resourcing, skills, etc. that need to be discussed / resolved within the Leidos technical team
- projects: Leidos staff (technical or otherwise) may raise technical issues directly (although usually via the Project Chief Engineer) that need to be discussed / resolved with the customer
- Portfolio Director: may raise concerns to be discussed / investigated with the project technical team
- Reviews programme TPMs and their progress presented at IPRs
- Provides technical advice to Portfolio Director, acting as technical eyes & ears
- Ensures that Portfolio programmes are technically managed in accordance with company standard processes.
- Facilitates technical collaboration between Portfolio businesses / programmes, looking to improve efficiency & effectiveness in delivery
- Collaborates with peers to share best practice, looking to improve efficiency & effectiveness in delivery across Leidos UK
- Tracks resource capabilities (including training) provided by the capability leads to ensure they keep up with evolving Portfolio/programme needs;
- Addresses key capability gaps with the capabilities leads
- Accountable to the UK Chief Engineer on all technical delivery across Portfolio programmes & projects within the division.
This role is currently classed as UK Mobile, however, travel will be required at some point across the South of England and some possible time in the West.
What do we do for you?
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
• Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme)