Leidos are a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defense, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
As a result of some exciting programme wins, we currently have a permanent vacancy for a Release & Configuration Management Lead requiring the use of applied concepts, principles, theories, practices and techniques for a mission critical programme surrounding the integration of Systems/Services. Applicants must have, or be eligible to acquire, SC Clearance. Whilst some work can be carried out remotely, work will also be required on-site in Whiteley, Hampshire
The successful candidate will be required to manage multiple concurrent solution configurations and baselines, within a time-boxed integration for all of the programme’s configuration items. This is an opportunity to work on an exciting programme delivering critical command and control services and infrastructure to a key UK front line service.
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY
This position is responsible for managing the definition and execution of software development CM processes and deliverables. The candidate will also oversee the receipt and management of internal and external releases, chair configuration boards and manage the releases of capability into test and operational environments. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing weekly metrics reporting, managing documentation baselines, as well as the developer toolsets employed to manage and report program progress. As a Configuration Management Lead, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing a small, diverse team to support agile development efforts; requiring the ability to effectively communicate with all members of the team, ranging from technical personnel to program leadership.
The successful candidate will have a full understanding of the principles of configuration management, be able to demonstrate past successes in working within and\or leading diverse teams and will have prior experience as a Configuration Manger for a major programme involving accepting and integrating deliveries from suppliers. Using their experience in configuration management, the successful candidate will be responsible for working with customers and suppliers to execute configuration management activities across the full lifecycle
Ideally candidates will have experience of identifying, controlling, recording, reporting, auditing and verifying service assets and configuration items including versions, baselines constituent components, their attributes and relationships.
Duties will include:
- Lead CM, data management, and release management controls and processes across teams and interfaces
- Manage the design change process, ensuring configuration identification by reviewing design release documents for completeness and proper authorizations
- Develop and maintain software configuration management tools to support configuration identification, control, reporting, and delivery of both internally developed and externally purchased commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) software products
- Assist with the management of the complete Release schedule for application deployment
- Perform configuration management and release engineering tasks to ensure new software product operating parameters are documented, comply with standards and configurations, and are supportable
- Produce, monitor and update the CM Plan, when required and any supporting processes, workflows and application diagrams
- The establishment and maintenance of an accurate and complete CMDB is essential to the effective control and management of all services.
- Lead a small team of CM resources
- Identify CM needs for toolset support and automation and aiding selection/deployment of this toolset
- Manage and oversee entire software release effort to successfully deploy software releases to include hotfixes, defect tracking, production operations status reporting
- Lead software release meetings and oversee release team execution to deliver product on schedule
- Obtain solid understanding of software features in order to plan for current and upcoming releases
- Document release rollout plans/tasks, risks and maintain schedule for release rollouts
- Manage configuration audits as required by contract and the applicable policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain coherent and consistent documentation baselines
- Establish release processes, perform process improvements, and document processes
- Facilitate Engineering Review Board and Configuration Control Board meetings and the controlled assessment and implementation of change requests/impact assessments
- Demonstrable experience with software configuration management processes, procedures and products
- Demonstrable knowledge with managing and overseeing entire release management cycle to include hotfixes, defect tracking, production operations status reporting
- Demonstrable experience in documenting releases, risks and in maintaining the schedule of planned releases and ability to lead software release meetings and oversee release team execution to deliver product on-time
- Domain knowledge of the internationally recognised CM standards
- Demonstrable previous CM experience at this level including process definition and governance
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required to collaborate with testers, systems engineers, architects, software developers, management as well as ability to work with multiple teams to release software
- Demonstrated experience with software development and software development teams utilizing configuration management.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams, including strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the configuration of multiple brands and types of software, as well as license installation and maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and adapt quickly to changing requirements
- Familiarity with agile software development processes and products (release and sprint planning, product backlog management/refinement, retrospectives, etc.)
- Time-boxed or agile approaches
- ITIL, ITSM and CMDB
- Familiarity with configuration management of virtualised products/services/solutions
- Experience in a range of commercial CM tools
What do we do for you?
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
• Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme)