UNLEASH YOUR POTENTIAL...
We currently have a permanent vacancy for an Associate Chief Engineer (ACE) to provide technical leadership for programmes throughout the UK. The ACE will be responsible for technical performance with a focus on delivery and operation for a sub-set of the main programme delivery. They will influence development of solutions that impact strategic project/program goals and business results. They have a thorough understanding of advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts, and recommends and collaborate in the development of new technical solutions and/or standards in support of strategy and operations for the areas that they are responsible.
The successful candidate will be required to own and drive the Systems Engineering, Development, Integration & Verification, Assurance and Service Management teams through design definition, execution, integration, formal test and delivery into service phases. The ACE acts as the technical delivery focal point for the capture or programme, working alongside the ‘Solutions Lead’ who forms the design authority focal point. They will be a natural self-starter and team motivator who will guide the technical team to deliver upon Leidos commitments. They will be considered a leader and champion in technical delivery with the experience to back up their decisions and actions, preferably hands on at a high level. You will work with field leading subject matter experts who will provide detailed designs and with supporting functions such as programme management, business, financial and senior leadership.
Are you ready for your next career challenge?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams in the UK to address some of the most complex problems in defence, government, safety and security, and transportation. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY:
The successful candidate will have a full understanding of the principles of system engineering, be able to demonstrate past successes in leading small diverse engineering teams and will have prior experience leading large small Systems Engineering teams for a programme. Using their experience in Systems Engineering, the successful candidate will be responsible for working with customers and suppliers to execute Systems Engineering activities across the full lifecycle.
Duties will include but not limited to:
- Collaborates with the Chief Engineer/Deputy Chief Engineer on all engineering effort:
- Resource Management for engineering disciplines
- Application of engineering best practice and standards, and use of appropriate governance to ensure control and visibility over scope of delivery
- Technical customer requirements – discovery and analysis of requirements. Production of impact assessment and estimates against customer-provided specifications
- Solution derived requirements, design and approach
- Project management items; technical measures, constraints, risks, technical deliverables, assumptions, dependencies. Own and plan the engineering effort for their aspect of the programmes.
- Reviews the proposed technical solution and approach with the purpose of establishing and managing an overall technical baseline for his aspect of the programme. They take ownership of the work products and plans from the proposal and perform the following additional items:
- Define the technical organisation and the lines of business to request the necessary resources (people and material)
- Execute the engineering effort.
- Communicates the technical plans and assignments to all members of their technical teams and sub-contractors
- Establish the technical sub-teams based on the agreed organisation structure
- Direct implementation of the technical management plans, manage day-to-day operation of the technical engineering teams, coordinate engineering efforts for his aspect of the programme, coordinate subcontractor efforts, and conduct technical exchange meetings.
- Manage engineering analyses, trade studies, prototype development and test.
- Coordinate with configuration management to ensure configuration control of the system design, system elements, technical documents, and other technical artefacts in accordance with agreed processes.
- Monitor, assess and control the engineering effort
- Monitor and assess technical progress against objectives and plans by collecting and analysing metrics, reviewing work products, obtaining formal and informal briefings, managing the technical budget, and assessing system performance, etc. Track and assess progress against cost and schedule. Report status to the PM.
- Manage their environments for system development, integration, verification, validation, and the process asset library to ensure continued suitability and access to any required enabling systems or services.
- Work with the Chief Engineer to ensure there is a suitably agreed technical review plan, ensuring timely execution of technical reviews, audits, and inspections
- Develop, initiate, document, and track corrective actions to address technical performance issues or other problems and prevent issues from recurring. Report status of corrective actions to the PM and Chief Engineer. If necessary, re-plan effort in coordination with the PM.
- Employ the agreed PMO processes to prevent issues when assessments indicate a negative trend, e.g. risk management.
- Coordinate, as appropriate, to initiate engineering change requests. Change requests may contain resource and material basis of estimates.
- Manage technical contract deliverables and milestone reviews
- Plan and direct the preparation, internal review, and customer delivery of contract deliverables.
- Plan and direct the preparation, internal review, and delivery of required support documentation.
- Plan and direct the preparation of the technical content of milestone reviews.
- Plan, schedule, and lead technical milestone reviews. Ensure all action items are recorded and assigned to the appropriate teams or individuals for disposition.
- Track and manage the closure of review action items and customer-requested revisions to contract deliverables
- Document and maintain the outputs of the process
- Conduct peer reviews on project outputs of this process as defined by the project.
- Obtain approval of technical process outputs from internal and external stakeholders as defined in the project’s plans.
- Control changes to work products and store records as defined in the project's configuration management plan.
WHAT SETS YOU APART:
- Demonstrated experience in implementing all stages of the systems engineering lifecycle across their programmes within a portfolio.
- The ability to communicate at all levels about high level architecture as well as the low level design layers.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with ability to interact at all levels from engineers to executives
- An ability to understand and translate customer needs and expectations
- Understanding of various system development methodologies
- Ability to lead, encourage and influence cross functional and multi-location teams
- Ability to define new strategies and processes, driving these through to their implementation
- Experience of working with multiple suppliers and stakeholders
- Confidence to work independently and within a fast-paced team
- Experience of delivering systems and solutions within the context of service orientated architectures and associated service management solutions (people, process, governance & technology)
- ITIL experience
YOU MIGHT ALSO HAVE:
- Knowledge of defence, Home Office or Police programmes desirable, however experience of equivalent domains or systems suitable
- Experience of transitioning from legacy systems to new capabilities
- Experience of model based system engineering methodologies and outputs
- Experience decomposing system of systems architectures and specification of systems at multiple levels
- Experience of specifying systems/services from user perspective and ability to produce abstract views of detailed internal service design
- Experience in designing Cloud-based Platforms would be an advantage, including large scale system virtualisation and orchestration
- Experience of utilising DOORS (or similar requirements management tool) to manage requirements and Model Based Systems Engineering tools for managing user scenarios
- Clearance to Start SC
- Clearance for Role DV
- £68,600 - £90,300 p/a, with potential to increase for truly exceptional performance at assessment
What do we do for you?:
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
• Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme)
Commitment to Diversity:
We welcome applications from every part of the community and are committed to a truly diverse and inclusive culture. We foster a sense of belonging, welcoming all perspectives and contributions, and providing equal access to opportunities and resources for everyone.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know, and we will respond in a way that best fits your needs.