Working within the multi-disciplinary IDENT1 UK TechOps team you will be immersed in the Home Office Biometrics (HOB) programme currently undergoing transformation of the UK’s biometrics platform to cloud. On behalf of our central government customer you will have direct impact on the current and future iterations of one of our most important pieces of critical national infrastructure.
Linux and Application Support Engineers are expected to support and maintain the IDENT1 system and any of its sub-systems within, housed at both primary and secondary sites and comprising of physical or virtual hardware either on-premises or eventually provisioned as cloud services, software, network services and data storage through both BAU and Project work
As well as being technically proficient Linux and Application Support Engineers also require excellent team motivational and customer relation skills, being prepared to take the lead on projects, show task ownership and be willing to provide a full “end to end” service for fault resolution. Engineers will manage set-up, configuration and fault finding of key infrastructure ensuring that systems are working efficiently and to the correct specification.
The service is a 24/7 operation and although this role operates in core hours individuals will on rare occasion need to be flexible in working patterns to support out of hours work.
On-call support (with additional payment) is shared on a rotational basis between the TechOps team and will be a mandatory part of this role, once adequate training has been provided.
Support and maintain BAU of the IDENT1 system and any of its sub-systems.
System Issues (ITIL Incident, Problem & Change management)
Review of incidents
• Investigate and resolve escalated incidents and service requests within allocated SLA target time
• Perform trend analysis of incidents for escalation into Problem Management
• Prioritise with guidance from line Manager
Analysis and resolution of issues
• Reproduction of problems on Test Beds
• Provide workarounds for the Service Desk (SD) and Technical Operations (TechOps)
• Open problems/defects defining issues where software/hardware changes are required
• Involvement in Continuous Service Improvement (CSI) process
Escalation to US Operations Maintenance as needed
• Including sufficient details of issue and examples
• Monitoring of the system using E-Health, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Custom monitoring scripts
• Ad-hoc system monitoring
• Recommend and help develop new monitoring capabilities through CSI process
Support sub systems
• Live Scan
• Biometric Search Gateway (BSG)
• Custody Interface (NSPIS)
• Linux (SuSE)
• UNIX (SUN Solaris)
Support Integrated COTS Software
• Oracle Discoverer
• Identitiy Manager (IDM)
• Active Directory
• Virtualisation (VMware)
• AWS Cloud
Procedures & Documentation
• Housekeeping, routine maintenance and system cleanup
• Data Integrity
• Performance monitoring of systems
• Disaster Recovery
• Machine Builds
- Central/Bureau Workstations
- Central/Bureau Server
Software Releases & Operational System changes
• Evaluating impact to operations
- Training required
• Develop preparation plans and schedule
• Provide training to Ops Teams
• Participate in testing
• Support rollout and deployment
Technical Operations Lead
• Familiarity with Technical Operations
• Technical expertise in at least one Integrated COTS Software product (see above)
Ability to write scripts (desirable)
• C Shell
• Bourne Shell
Troubleshooting and analytical problem solving skills
1. Technical skills
• Proven ability to solve system faults/problems.
• Ability to take problems from a customer level to a defect level (root cause).
• Have a good understanding of the hardware used on the programme and the ability to troubleshoot issues for
- Sun Solaris
- SuSE Linux
2. To maintain and improve the IDENT1 system including:
• To assist in solving existing software / implementation problems.
• To create new software and hardware tools.
• To actively search out errors or faults before they impact operations.
• To maintain and improve system procedures and documentation
• To maintain and improve the implementation of the COTS products
• Install / assist with installation of software.
• Implement new technology within the project.
3. Soft Skills
• Ability to present technical solutions to technical and non-technical staff
• Able to work with other Senior Engineering staff.
• Take on new projects with enthusiasm and imagination.
• Willingness to volunteer or chip in when the going gets tough.
4. Administrative skills
• Conversant with ITIL, SLA’s and using LANdesk tool accurately.
• Able to raise problems/defects/changes.
• Update and write procedures where appropriate.
• Professional and reliable communication both within and outside team.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.