Join a team committed to a Mission!
We are in search of a Senior Systems Engineer for our Leidos engineering capability. The successful Systems Engineer will have a full understanding of the principles of systems engineering, will have prior experience as a Systems Engineer on a major programme involving accepting and integrating deliveries from suppliers.
Using your experience in Systems Engineering, you will be responsible for working with customers and suppliers to execute Systems Engineering activities across the full lifecycle, with specific focus on Model Based Systems Engineering.
Are you ready for your next career challenge?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams in the UK to address some of the most complex problems in defence, government, safety and security, and transportation. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
As a Senior Systems Engineer in Leidos you will be immersed in one of our key programmes – transformation of the UK’s biometrics platform to cloud. On behalf of our central government customer you will have direct impact on the current and future iterations of one of our most important pieces of critical national infrastructure.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Demonstrable knowledge of systems engineering concepts and applying these concepts to software-intensive & cloud hosted systems.
- Responsible for the delivery of high level designs, specifications, requirements traceability and working with all engineering disciplines in both definition and delivery of system wide changes.
- Responsible for managing and employing SE standard methods, MBSE models and artefacts, SE processes and tools to accomplish analysis, problem diagnosis and solution design, integration and test preparation, risk assessment and mitigation planning, and related activities.
- Interfacing with domain architects to identify required activities, perform collaborative planning, review deliverables, and resolve SE issues.
- Working closely with the Associate Chief Engineers, Domain Architects, Software, Data, Test and DevOps Engineers, and Data Scientists
- Owning, impact assessing, updating documentation & overseeing development & release of changes to deployed applications & infrastructure.
- Technical management and execution of engineering activities, requirements analysis, implementation planning, third party coordination, integration and test, sustainment, documentation, deployment, and system assessment.
- Defining processes and solutions for technical platforms, system specifications, system designs, input/output and working parameters for infrastructure and/or software compatibility.
- Developing and maintaining systems engineering documentation and diagrams/models through use of traditional and MBSE tools.
- Understanding and leveraging approaches to identify 1) Requirements that represent a gap in capabilities and 2) Opportunities for reuse.
- Serving as an Agile product owner within a system of products (creation of the product vision, to design and development, through testing and into ongoing support).
- Coordinating with enterprise stakeholders to prioritize product backlogs for sprints and releases.
- Evaluating early designs compared to requirements and oversee systems engineering efforts.
- Applying strong baseline, configuration and release management.
- Overseeing & contributing to the development of lower level designs corresponding to owned areas of the system (application or cloud platform).
- Applying & developing ITIL aspects including Service Management Roles & Processes.
What Does Leidos Need From Me?:
- Works and thinks in a team to deliver a common goal doing what is necessary to ensure mission success.
- Interface technologies and design.
- Experience of application architecture, software engineering approaches and languages.
- Experience of networking topologies, designs and equipment.
- Experience of storage and compute designs and implementations.
- Management of requirements and requirements traceability.
- Excellent documentation and articulation skills.
- Understanding of testing approaches, techniques methods and practices.
- Appreciation of security design, tools and their implementation of security within complex system.
- Ability to articulate complex system change patterns to enable the creation of project plans to deliver change.
- T-shaped people willing to step outside normal skillsets to support the team; self-starter, proactive learning as required.
- Can work in an agile culture in particular SecDevOps.
- Everyone is expected to be able to work end to end in the lifecycle.
- Identifies potential roadblocks and develops around them
- Plans and estimates tasks/work to improve performance metrics (team improvement).
- Builds solutions where the solution is not always well defined but always considers the customer first.
- Common Technical Skills.
- ITIL and Service based thinker.
- Uses Jira and Confluence and updating progress frequently during the day.
Location: This role will be predominantly with occasional business travel to Coventry, Farnborough, or Whiteley sites.
This role will require an SC clearance
What do we do for you?:
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
• Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, gym memberships, annual buy and sell holidays and a cycle to work scheme)
Commitment to Diversity:
We welcome applications from every part of the community and are committed to a truly diverse and inclusive culture. We foster a sense of belonging, welcoming all perspectives and contributions, and providing equal access to opportunities and resources for everyone.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know, and we will respond in a way that best fits your needs.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.